Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Late Nights #2: Addiction to the Machine

Big thanks again to Kotaku.com's editor-in-chief Crecente for reporting on this interview.


Dr. Jerald Block

I read it and hit some disturbing parallels, and coupled with an experience I had today it was rather startling. I will elaborate, but I will begin with the story.

I'm in the break room down here, playing Okami while a few interested eyes look on. First of all, I'm playing at 1:45 when the imposed "Video Game Allowed Hours" are from 9am to noon and 3pm to 6pm. I'd forgotten this, and I was high as a kite on my painkillers, so I didn't really care at the time to check the clock. Video Games help me focus while I'm trying to ride out the effect of the drugs, which I find unpleasant and tiring. If I focus on the game, I don't get tired and I feel much better. I tried reading once, but my eyes can't focus on the words, it's damn near impossible. So I played a light hearted, fun game with beautiful visuals.

In walk the two biggest antagonists of video gaming I've met so far. One of them comments in a very passive aggressive fashion, breaking the silence as people watch the game "Is there a reason we're playing games outside of the video game time?" Of course in my Bad-Ass-Vision I turned my head and listed every reason why we were playing outside the time, which boiled down to why video games are better than television (See my list at the end of the blog), followed by calling her a less-than-PC word: -expletive deleted- (hint: it would have rhymed with bunt). But I promptly, wordlessly shut the Wii down, went to my room, got out my friend's TV, and resumed playing. I wanted to relax and my butt was killing me from the stitches.

The reason I share this story, is for the look she gave me. It was disgust. Aversion and honest abhorrence. It was the look someone gives a meth addict, or someone hitting a bowl in front of them. It was a look you give someone you pity the habit of. "Am I addicted?" I wondered. "Am I really incapable of enjoying myself/relaxing without a controller in my hand?" The answer is a resounding YES...but is that a bad thing?

It comes down to one point: It's subjective, purely. For me it's not bad. I stay fit, active and in decent shape for my age. I also game like the dickens. The majority of my free time is spent gaming or thinking about gaming or writing about gaming. It's my life, it's what I do. In reading the interview with Dr. Block I realized though, that I share some qualities with the people he sees. I attach myself to my hardware, I develop a relationship with it. When my computer almost broke a few weeks back I damn near cried because I was worried I'd lost my files. When my Xbox was giving me the red ring, I felt like I was looking into the blank stare of a lost lover. I felt true loss. Now, I quickly rationalized the situation and took care of business, but I think a lot of gamers my age, younger and older for that matter, have had that moment where they feel like they've really lost something if their hardware is inaccessible. I need the ability to get on my computer/gaming console at the drop of a hat, or I feel twitchy, nervous...almost like a man missing his next fix. But in my blindness, I see no problem with that, as long as I live an otherwise balanced existence. Which I feel I do.

Dr. Block points out EvE Online, which is my #2 MMORPG. I love the amount that the game draws the player into the world, if you can swallow the depth of the UI and gamerbase. I sympathized with the man who'd lost in-game assets. I really did. As an "addict" (And I agree with Dr. Block, I HATE this term but am forced to use it) I felt true sympathy for his case. I really hope he's alright.

And so that leaves me here, typing on my gaming blog, listening to the Gorillaz, about to get out my DS and play a little Pokemon Pearl. I'm an addict and proud to be one. I think that people who are addicts are are NOT proud, should seek balance in their lives. Find something to offset that thirst for the game. For me it's writing and making movies. For them, it can be anything at all. If we urge those who are "addicted" to seek to regain balance in their lives first, then maybe people won't be ashamed to step forward looking for a "cure." We're not ashamed gamers because we don't want a cure, we're ashamed to be gamers because we love the disease.

These terms vex me. Henceforth I shall never refer to gaming as a disease, nor an addiction. Dr. Block, if you read this, I'm going to make that my promise to your work and your patients. I used it in this article to illustrate my point, no futher! And so now...I sleep. Goodnight, world.

-Joe

PS: And here's a site called Mothers Against Video Game Addiction for more "adddiction" reading pleasure from the other side of the fence.

Satan sez "Game on, kiddies! I'll see you all real soon!"

------------------------------

WHY VIDEO GAMES ARE BETTER THAN TV (Miniblog by J.L.)

TV is entirely input. Show, commercial break, show, commercial break. This is input input input. It's documentary, scripted event or worse, "unscripted reality television" followed by a series of words and images designed to get you to spend money in some way, rinse, repeat. This is boring and terrible. Considering the only quality amount of programming is one usually for about an hour a day, if that, there is no reason to channel surf these days. You sit, you soak it in, you gain a little here and there (sticking to Food Network, Discovery Channel and Current TV), but you exercise a very miniscule part of your mind.

Video games DEMAND OUTPUT from the user. You must focus, you must coordinate your hands and mind, you must train your eyes and reflexes. If you do not gain skills as a player, the story does not end. There is no forward movement without your input and direct participation. In this way you are tied to the outcome. There is less direct advertisement, and unless it's a poorly made game the story will be written with an attempt to engage you as a player/participant in the scene. This is, and will always be, more interesting/engaging/enriching and innovative. You must be involved, you must engage the game. It doesn't suggest it, it demands it. And it rewards you with some mental (and sometimes physical!) exercise.

The ONLY TWO downsides: time and people. Most games take longer than your half an hour sitcom and are one player ordeals. This leaves everyone else (who may or may not like watching a skilled player play) out.

So go out, make some friends that like to pass the controller around and enjoy a good session, and hang out with them. It sure beats watching TV.

No comments: